† †††June is Caribbean-American Heritage Month
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Nationals Association of Washington, D.C. (SVGNA)
honors the month with an
††††† ESSAY CONTEST
Open to 11th and 12th grade students attending high school in the larger Washington, D.C. metro areas, of Caribbean parentage from CARICOM countries.
TOPIC:† How Caribbean heritage and culture have influenced American society.
● Entries must be typed, in 12-point font, double-spaced, with 1Ē margins, numbered pages and stapled in the upper left-hand corner.
● Essay must be no less than 1,000 words and unpublished.
● All entries must include a cover sheet that includes studentís name, address and phone number.† The studentís name should NOT appear on subsequent pages of the essay.
● First prize is $500.† Second prize is $300 and third prize is $100.
● Entries must be postmarked no later than May 31, 2009.
● Essay will be judged based on:
†† 1.† Grammar
†† 2.† Style
†† 3.† Content
†† 4.† Structure
● Students must confirm participation via e-mail to:
● Winners will be notified by June 21, 2009 at a formal presentation.
● For further information, contact:
†† 1.† John Anderson 301-595-1937
†† 2.† Albie Crick 301-681-0104
†† 3.† Dr. Bert Davy 301-499-1392
● Essays must be mailed to:
†††† St. Vincent & the Grenadines Nationals Association of Washington, D.C.
†††† P.O. Box 2250
†††† Washington, D.C.† 20013-2250